2012年7月26日木曜日

Thoughts on Bossa Nova - 2

In the last post, I mentioned the word "saudade".  This word nowadays has become relatively widespread as a fundamental component of Bossa Nova where people sort of understand its meaning just like me.  Common definition seems to be "longing" or "sadness" or "being sentimental" or "loneliness", but is this true?

To be honest, I do not have an answer - I am not Brasilian let alone being a Carioca.  What I sense though is that there is an underlying characteristics of being an "optimistic pessimist", where this became more apparent compared to the Brasilian popular music before the Bossa Nova era.   Examples of this can be seen in the lyrics.

When Orlando Silva sang "Aos Pez da Cruz", the song was "you swore eternal love at the foot of a holy cross to me but you convenient forgot, although heart has its own reasons" - in other words, grudge.  Or when Os Namorados da Lua sang "De Conversa Em Conversa", it sang "words after words there's no point in talking anymore, so why don't I pack up my stuff and leave because I am not the lime that keeps on being squeezed" (lime squeezed here I think refers to those for Caipirinha) - a simple break-up song.

But when Elizeth Cardoso sang "Chega de Saudade", it sang that "my girl left me and I cannot do with out her, but if she ever came back I would kiss her so much, more than the fishes that swim in the oceans" - a glimpse of hope although there may be none.  Or when Joao Gilberto sang "Meditacao", it sang that "he who believe in the love, smile and flower was let down and cried at the rock bottom because those were so fragile but again he who came back to believe in love, smile and flower learned that it was the way for his peace of mind" - displays both the positive and negative aspect of how things could be.

If "saudade" is the key in understanding Bossa Nova, the differences in the composition of lyrics as above seems to be what it is (yes, I know it is a rationalistic approach), hence the essence of "optimistic pessimism".

So, what really is "saudade" - I really don't know but if someone were to ask me, I would have no other way but to answer, "a permanent state of mind (or characteristics) where you are sensitive and honest enough to acknowledge the movement of the needles within the meters in your heart/feeling with the ability to have hope."

Going back my earlier post I said guitar has a part to play, piano has a part to play and the vocal has a part to play.  Anyone can sing Bossa Nova or anyone can play Bossa Nova.  But unless one thinks of what "saudade" is, how could it really sound nice?  Easy to cosmetically decorate in an attempt to cover up for the lack of thinking, but I somehow can't accept that.        

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

注: コメントを投稿できるのは、このブログのメンバーだけです。