2012年7月23日月曜日

Thoughts on Bossa Nova - 1

I am sure there are quite a lot of people who wants to or are performing Bossa Nova, MPB or any sort of Brasilian Music.  Many a times however, I just hear people playing according to the notes and scales written on the score, without much consideration to the fundamental point of what it is all about.  Obviously I do not intend to say I know everything - I only know very little but at least I am trying to read between the lines where I believe the essence of "saudade" is hidden.

Are singing songs from other countries in a bossa nova rhythm, Bossa Nova?  Is the presumptuous sophistication of the songs to make it more fashionable and easy-listening, Bossa Nova?  I don't know for the general public, but at least to me is a clear no.

If the term Bossa Nova is translated as the "new aptitude" or the "new inclination", then may be the stuff mentioned earlier falls within the definition of Bossa Nova that keep on evolving as "Nova".  But going back to where it all started, it was a movement at that time, back in the last 50s to the early 60s and the music that came out out as a result was categorized as Bossa Nova because it was both "Bossa" and "Nova".  So where has the "Bossa" gone?  All the new stuff I hear these days to me, don't sound authentic but commercial more than anything.

Obviously, anyone is free to interpret the music and perform in their very own ways.  But one thing for sure, Bossa Nova was a movement in it by itself, unlike "rock and roll" or "jazz" which the word has its origin in certain definitive actions.

In Bossa Nova, the guitar has a part to play, the piano has a part to play, and the vocals have a part to play in its own saudade.  Let's go back to the roots, listen over and over, to see what Bossa Nova is really about.
 

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿

注: コメントを投稿できるのは、このブログのメンバーだけです。